Battleship Mikasa : Japanese pre-dreadnought & flagship of Admiral Tōgō Heihachirō at the decisive Japanese victory over the Imperial Russian Navy at the Battle of Tsushima Straits on 27 May 1905.
The pre-Dreadnought–IJN battleship Mikasa is now located at Yokosuka and viewable to tourists as a museum.
Built by Vickers, Barrow-in-Furness, Great Britain, Mikasa was the largest and the latest battleship of IJN, the flagship of IJN fleet chief commander Admiral Tōgō Heihachirō. during Russo-Japanese War.
While Admiral Tōgō was honored as being considered the “Nelson of the East ”, Mikasa was also considered the “HMS Victory of IJN”.
After WW2 all of Mikasa’s gun turrets, super structures were removed under the Allies occupation. Thanks to US Naval admiral Nimitz (who highly admired Tōgō) the Japanese recovered Mikasa. She is the only pre-Dreadnought battleship preserved.
Most of the ship with the exception of the outer hull is welded sheet metal. There is no access to the twelve inch gun turrets, which are most likely just hollow replicas.